Friday, January 15, 2010

A turn of events...

When I last wrote it was Wednesday and I was on hospital bed rest.  My blood pressures were high but stable, I was having headaches, was dilated 3cm and was awaiting results from a 24 hour urine test to find out whether or not a c-section would be performed to deliver the babies early. 

Well, I failed the urine test (which confirmed a diagnosis of pre-eclampsia) and Bobby and I prepared ourselves to hear from the doctor that our babies would need to be delivered.  What happened instead is that my blood pressures greatly improved that day (a result of the strict bed rest) and the doctors decided we could continue to wait and watch a few more days.  Up and down, the roller coaster ride continued!

Bobby's sister, Cathy came to visit us that evening and as we were talking I suddenly noticed that I was very much out of breath.  It took several minutes for the symptoms to improve, only to return again several minutes later.  I called the nurse who came in and checked my breathing and my blood pressure.  Everything seemed fine and the symptoms once again improved.

I woke up about 1am on Thursday, January 14, again experiencing some shortness of breath.  I called for the nurse and when she came into the room we both noticed how incredibly swollen my legs and hands were - more so then they had previously been.  She put me on the scale and my weight was up another 3 pounds in 24 hours (5 pounds in 48).  This made her and I both think that my difficulty breathing was likely related to the massive fluid retention I was experiencing.  The doctor agreed.  Then she (the doctor) said the following in a joking tone, "being an obstetrician I suppose it would be embarrassing if I missed something like, say, labor.  We should check your cervix." 

Five centimeters.  I was in labor.  Forget the blood pressures, forget the headaches, forget the pre-eclampsia.  I had gone into labor!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment