Wednesday, January 13, 2010

So much going on!

This will be a "catch up" post.  So much has happened since I last posted - only 1 week ago.  I think the easiest way for me to cover everything is to do a day by day summary...

When I last wrote I was at home on bed rest, checking my blood pressure several times daily and talking with my Dr each evening with updates. 

Tuesday and Wednesday (of last week):  My blood pressures remained elevated but stable and we remained at home.

Thursday:  We had an ultrasound and the babies were weighed.  Wow, are they getting big!  Here are their current stats - baby #1 2lb 15oz, baby #2 3lb 2oz, and baby #3 3lb 6oz.  Once again they all looked great.  One thing they checked for during this US was respiratory effort.  All 3 babies were "breathing" away, practicing using their little diaphragms.  While they aren't getting oxygen benefits from the breathing at this time, it is important that they are learning how to coordinate all the muscles they will need to use once they are born.  We then saw Dr Acker.  My blood pressure was once again elevated but stable in the office and we were able to return home, continuing with the plan we had been implementing previously.

Friday:  Uneventful with stable bps.

Saturday:  My bps started a new trend upwards.  What had previously been my maximum readings were suddenly consistent.  I called Dr Acker to discuss.  Since at the time I had no other symptoms - mainly headaches, he recommended more frequent bp checks for Sunday.

Sunday:  BPs stayed elevated, still with no symptoms.  Since we already had an appointment booked for the next morning Dr Acker agreed to let me sleep at home one more night.  We had that conversation about 8pm and at 11pm my bp had reached a new high of 150/96.  I also started to feel a mild, dull headache coming on. 

Monday (of this week):  Several weeks ago I mentioned in an entry that I cried as we left our house to attend a doctor's visit, worried that I would not be returning home that day.  Well, Monday was a different story.  Bobby and I both had a sense that this was it.  And to be honest, my increasing physical discomfort and our growing anxiety levels about being so far from the hospital had us both almost hoping that I would be admitted.  As most of you know by now, we got our wish.  My blood pressure in the office had climbed to 150/99 and my mild headache persisted.  That was it.  I was officially relocated to "Hotel Brigham."  Blood was drawn, exams done.  I received the first of 2 steroid injections which will help give the babies' lung development a final boost.  Full benefit of the injections kicks in after 48 hours and we were reassured that they (the medical staff) would do everything they could to delay inducing me until at least that time (Wednesday afternoon).  An exam of my cervix showed that for the first time I was 1cm dilated.  Bobby and I tried to process everything we were being told as quickly as possible, but it was a lot to take in. 

Tuesday:  Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep on Monday night.  Anxiety, stress, plastic pillows, frequent interruptions - I basically slept from 6am-7am.  My headache continued despite the variety of "cocktails" they gave me.  I received the second steroid injection.  The babies continue to do great and the nurses checked their heart rates via Doppler every 4 hours (the highlights of my day).  Bobby brought several key items from home (slippers, favorite pillows, favorite snacks, laptop) and I started to feel a little more relaxed.  We had several visitors in the afternoon which really helped to pass the time and was a major moral boost as well. 

In the afternoon we were finally given an updated plan:  There are 4 main factors that the doctors use to determine their course of action.  Blood pressures (I was failing this one), headaches (failing this one as well), blood test results (I passed with flying colors) and 24 hour urine test (this was pending at the time).  We were told that if I passed the urine test we would go into "day by day mode" staying here at the hospital until the babies are born.  If I failed the test, however, then there was a high likelihood that they would induce Wed afternoon or Thurs morning.  Though the prospect of being induced at just 30 weeks is quite frightening, it was at least comforting to hear a plan and all of their rationales. 

Bobby left to go home for the night and shortly after, one of the doctors came by to check my cervix.  Apparently this is unusual since it had been checked the day before and I was not having any symptoms of labor.  I, along with the nurse and the doctor, were quite shocked to discover that I was now 3cm dilated.  Ultimately they decided that this wouldn't change anything for the night, so I suppose we will hear more about the implications of this today (Wednesday). 

So there you have it.  Sorry for the lengthy update.  Since I am keeping this blog as much for my future reference as anything, I wanted to get everything mentioned.  I will try to do a better job of keeping things updated from this point.  Once again Bobby and I thank you all for your continued prayers, support and well wishes.  Love you all!!!

6 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm on a train, going faster and faster and somebody else is in charge. I trust that those at the controls are cool, calm and knowledgeable as they have been through this many times. It's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo exciting and suspenseful! Love to you, Bobby and the wee three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning!
    Thank you for the update! Hang in there... everything sounds great. You are a superwoman helping three babies grow!
    Love you to you and Bubba, and of course the babies!
    Call if you need anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update! It's getting exciting! :-) Hope you can continue to get comfortable (is it possible at 30 weeks with triplets?) and maybe the babies can be more comfortable for just a few more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those babes will be here before we know it. You can do it! Love you guys! And, I'm glad the Patriots lost in the playoffs so Bobby can fully concentrate now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading your blog from London. I know that you and the babies are in good hands. To tell you the truth, I too am relieved that you are now checked in at the "Hotel Brigham!" Try to relax and let those steroids go to work on the babies' lungs. I am sending my love and best wishes to all 5 of you.

    ReplyDelete