Bobby and I got a glimpse of our future on Tuesday night. We got to spend the night on the labor and delivery unit. No, this was not a part of some all-inclusive prenatal tour. I was, unfortunately, there as a patient. I will quickly say that the babies are just fine.
Tuesday afternoon at work I started experiencing some shaking and dizziness. I ate a quick snack and heeded my bosses advise to put my feet up drink some water. Instead of feeling better my dizziness quickly got worse and before I new it I was unable to walk or even stand. Bobby was at home, on the roof pulling out old, leaking skylights and couldn't be reached. So at the advise of my OB doctor my boss drove me to the hospital.
Having never experienced dizziness like this and never having before been pregnant I immediately worried that the two were related. Despite my best efforts to do things 'by the book' for the sake of the babies, had I done something wrong? Maybe I wasn't drinking enough water, or maybe I had worked too hard the previous weekend (catching up on laundry and cleaning since I was feeling the best I had in months).
Bobby got to the hospital about 2 hours after I arrived. The dizziness was still getting worse (I didn't have any other symptoms) and I was put through neuro test upon neuro test. Medical students, interns, fellows, residents, attendings - doctor after doctor came to check me out (gotta love teaching hospitals) and we were thrilled when they finally concluded that this was likely not related to the pregnancy. I was still, however, admitted for further tests and awaited an MRI.
I woke up Wednesday morning with a splitting headache but much less dizziness. I was also experiencing some fogginess and "floaters" in my right eye. These symptoms were very similar to 2 migraines (as I called them) that I have experienced in the past. I discussed this with the neuro team. They agreed that the previous night's episode could have been a new presentation for migraines but because I am pregnant they felt the MRI was still very important.
Thankfully the MRI results came back normal and my blood work was all unremarkable. We were discharged on Wednesday night with only educated guesses as to what had happened. Today my headache and floaters continue and I still have moments of dizziness if I move too quickly. While still perplexed, knowing that my babies are safe and healthy and that my brain is clean leaves me so so happy!
The highlight of the hospital stay was getting to see our dancing trio on the ultrasound once again. At 14 and 1/2 weeks they are already cramped for space and 2 of them were laying head to head. Very cute!
The staff of nurses, doctors and patient care assistants were all incredible and we can breath easy, knowing that when the time arrives, we will be in great hands!!!
Welcome to the world of migraines, Deana! I get the floaters, too. A month ago I got a new "aura" - numbness that progressed through my fingers & hand & arm. Being able to take migraine meds is wonderful! Glad it was "just" a migraine (though I would never wish them on anyone!).
ReplyDeleteYou my friend are a rock star!!!! Does this mean that the much anticipated Relief Sale is out of the question?????
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you and the babes are ok. Love you guys! And, hey, like you said...you got to see a glimpse of what is to come as far as the hospital unit.
ReplyDeleteSo thankful that ordeal is over and everyone is ok!
ReplyDeleteDeana,
ReplyDeleteI am no longer on FB, but connected with Cara this morning and heard your awesome news. Three times. Just kidding. Anyway, congrats to you and Bobby (I guess I'm 15 weeks late!) but better late than never!
Naeiry :)