From the beginning, Bobby and I have seen this pregnancy as a miracle. Even during the 1 and 1/2 week period when we assumed there was only one baby - we were so amazed to have finally gotten pregnant. What has been interesting is that the medical community hasn't necessarily shared in our awe and excitement. In fact, we have more often then not been met with apologies and speeches about all of the risks involved. A few examples...
Our first ultrasound when we found out there were 3 little ones. The radiologist (after telling me to take a few deep breaths to counteract the hyperventilation) said reassuringly "don't worry, 3 babies today doesn't mean 3 babies in 9 months, or even next week."
Our first appointment with our reproductive endocrinologist after finding out about the trio. She greeted us at the door saying "I am so sorry! You have to know that I consider this to be a medical failure and obviously not our intent."
At our third ultrasound, when we saw their little nubby arms and legs wiggling around for the first time. The radiologist (different from the first one) offered us a picture but then quickly took it back saying "oh, maybe you didn't want photos of all 3 in case..." I snatched the photo back but I knew she meant "in case you weren't planning on continuing on with all 3."
At our appointment with the fetal geneticist who told us about all of the many risks for genetic abnormalities and offered us countless tests and scans to find out if there was a "weakest link" among the trio - in other words, which one should be the one to "reduce."
Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been all gloom and doom. Everyone of these people quickly changed their tune once we made it clear that we were thrilled and had every intention to continue on with our triplet pregnancy. We especially love our wonderful OB doc whose first words to us were "are we here to talk about reduction or a triplet pregnancy?" We said in unison "triplet pregnancy" and he has never looked back! He continues to be incredibly supportive and positive.
So, while this experience hasn't been all sunshine and roses, we remain incredibly optimistic and maintain our feelings of elation and excitement and can't wait for the blessings that await us in 2010!
It's exciting and Mom and I are so glad to be a part of it!
ReplyDeleteDeana (& Bobby!), we're so happy for you (I think I conveyed that in the phone call when you shared the news! :-)) These triplets are so blessed to have such loving parents and a strong, supportive extended family! We're so glad to share in your joy on this journey!
ReplyDeleteDeanna - I truly think about you every day. I believe that God doesn't give us anything that we can't handle. I hope you and your hubby feel the same way. Thanks for including me as you share via this blog. Good luck on your journey!!!
ReplyDelete