We had our 4th ultrasound on Wednesday. As I mentioned in my previous entry, there are several tests that can be done to determine viability and overall health. We opted out of most of these tests however, one test is done as a part of a routine ultrasound. Since we were having the US anyway it made sense to go ahead with the screening.
The test is called a nuchal translucency test. It is performed between 11 and 12 weeks. During the US they measure a small ligament in the baby's neck. If the measurement falls outside of the normal range it can be a predictor of multiple anomalies, mainly down's syndrome. I am happy to report that each baby measured beautifully!
Once again, the US was exciting! I am always a tad nervous at the beginning, but once 3 heartbeats are confirmed I am able to sit back and enjoy the show. In the 2 short weeks since our last US the trio has really changed. What were nubbies of arms and legs are now full blown appendages. They were all moving their knee and elbow joints. Also, they have clearly definable profiles - eye sockets, noses, lips, chins. Here is a report for each of our little ones:
Baby #1 - the smallest of the 3 since the beginning. 2 weeks ago s/he was measuring 2 days behind by date and was several more days behind the others. This week s/he has gained the 2 days back and is measuring spot on (though still behind the others). S/he was very cooperative during the scan and laid there quietly, sucking his/her thumb!
Baby #2 - the clown of the group! Always measuring in the middle of the pack. This scan was measuring at 11w6d or 3 days ahead of schedule and 3 days ahead of #1. Last time s/he was waving at us and this time s/he was doing somersaults. Funny to watch!
Baby #3 - might be our troublemaker! The biggest of the trio. Measuring a whopping 11w9d (in other words over 12weeks). The tech had trouble getting the pictures she needed with this one. Every time she would focus in on his/her profile and was just about ready to snap a photo, s/he would roll over leaving us looking at his/her backside. This happened 3 times before s/he finally stayed still long enough. I think we have an ornery one on our hands! :)
As for me, I continue to grow (sometimes daily, it seems) and unfortunately have a new found nausea. I am having more difficulty sleeping comfortably at night (I'm usually a stomach sleeper) and my stomach is a road map of stretch marks (despite my best efforts with 'belly butter'). In other words, I've never been better - I love it!!!
PS - if you click on the photos of the ultrasounds they will get larger, making it easier to make out the details. Each photo is labeled 1/3, 2/3, etc, indicating who it is you are looking at.
Love the blog! Great news with the latest US. Keep us posted! PS. My mom swears by pickled ginger to eliminate nausea (the pink stuff you get with sushi).
ReplyDeleteIt'll be fun to see how your impressions based on this US compare to future USs and what their little personalities will be like as they grow....
ReplyDeleteOops Deana, "Anonymous" is me....Mom. Still learning how to do this "comment" stuff.
ReplyDeleteSo exciting, Deans! I love how you can already start to see differences in the babies through the ultrasounds. It will be fun to see how they continue to develop!
ReplyDeleteWe are just so thrilled for you Deana and Bobby! Thank you so much for keeping us updated on your progress as we have been thinking about you all the time. Love and kisses to you all, Gwen, JF, Tristan and Sofia!
ReplyDeleteThey develop little personalities so quickly, don't they? Thanks for the updates and it's amazing to see how their US pictures have already changed. Oh, are any of them wearing Pats jersies or sox hats in utero? :) Love ya guys.
ReplyDelete