One of the questions I am most frequently asked by friends and strangers alike is "What is your day like with 3 infants? How do you manage?" My answer is simple: routine, routine, routine. Establishing a routine and a schedule (they are different) was the first bit of advice I received from my fellow moms of triplets. The task seemed daunting (and quite frankly a bit harsh and un-nurturing) at the time but we took their advice and are (beginning to) reap the fruits of our labor.
Here is what a "typical" weekday in the Smith household looks like (for now)...I've included times which do often vary (but not by much more then 30 minutes or so).
6:45am - the first munchkin wakes up. I head downstairs to get the bottles warmed up (we make them the night before) while Bobby changes his/her diaper. We set baby #1 up in his/her chair with the bottle and then wake the other 2 up. Yes, that's right...I said wake up. I know, normal rules of parenting say you never wake a sleeping baby but we're not living the normal life. Baby #2 and #3 get their diapers changed and then get set up in their chairs to take a bottle.
7:30am - everyone is done eating. I go down the line burping them and getting them settled back into their chairs with their toy bars and chew toys before starting their favorite CD. (Because of their ongoing reflux issues we still can't put them down on the floor to play immediately following a bottle.) This is my time to have a quick cup of coffee and something to eat.
8am - read books, sing songs, etc. They are usually getting a bit restless in their chairs by now.
8:15am - on to the floor they go. They love being on the floor, "crawling," exploring, playing and interacting.
9:15-9:30am - one or more start acting tired. I take them to their respective nap locations. They don't all nap in the nursery together. This is something we are working on but for now they are split up. Everyone goes down for a nap, ready or not. I used to think this was harsh but I quickly learned that it is the key to my sanity. The kids are doing really well with being put down for their naps. It isn't uncommon for someone to "complain" a little but it usually lasts less then 5-10 minutes (hence why we aren't napping in the same room yet).
10:30-10:45am - they start waking up. The first one up gets dressed for the day and then they play on the floor while I get lunch and bottles prepared. Then I wake the next one up, get them dressed and then do the same with the last one.
11:30am - eat lunch - rice cereal or oatmeal and fruit. We use one bowl and one spoon and around and around we go.
12pm - bottles in their chairs followed by more toy bar and music time, books, etc.
1pm - onto the floor to play until nap time.
2-2:15pm - someone starts acting ready for a nap and we basically repeat the process of the morning nap.
3:30-3:45pm - they start waking up. Again, I get the first one settled, make "dinner," warm up bottles, get set up and then wake up the other two.
4pm - eat dinner - rice cereal and veggies.
4:30pm - bottles in their chairs followed by the usual (see above). Bobby usually enters the picture about now.
5:15pm - play with daddy, spend time outside, go for a walk, etc.
6:45pm - PJ time!
7pm - bottles. We try to hold them for this feeding.
7:15pm - into their chairs (in the living room). We read a few books and then turn out the lights and leave them alone. Sometimes they all fall asleep quickly and sometimes it takes a few rounds of replacing lost pacifiers, working out stubborn bubbles, etc.
8pm - carry them up to their cribs (they sleep through this process).
There you have it...our day! It is strange for me to look at it all written out...
Phew! I'm tired!
ReplyDeleteAnd when do you and Bobby eat? Margaret
ReplyDeleteThat's what I wondered too...when's your dinner time? :) You rock!!!! Keep up the hard and important work you are doing with those babes.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Nana, TIRED! You made me tired just reading it! It was so good to see all of you when we visited last week. The trio looks great and growing by leaps and bounds! See you soon. Vicky
ReplyDeleteWow Deana and Bobby!!! Amazing amount of work- Obviously paying off when you see how well the children are all doing. One day you will have some time to yourselves:) Love to all! Gwen and the gang
ReplyDeleteYou're the best! I'm so impressed with how carefully you've thought through things and are resolute, not rigid. As was said, "...sanity!" Love to you! Phyllis
ReplyDelete