As Bobby and I drove to our doctors appointment on Thursday I made the comment that I haven't really been giving the appointments the respect they deserve. I mean, I never go into them thinking "today could be the day that everything changes." Things have been going so well all along that I sort of took for granted the fact that things could change.
Well, as irony would have it, that day ended up being the day...
My blood pressure is the culprit. We left the office with instructions to check my blood pressure every 6 hours through the weekend and to call Dr Acker directly if it ever went above 140/90. Well it did. The very next morning. So I called and he put me on bed rest though Monday (today) and I was to continue checking my blood pressure. While deep down I think I knew this was it, I maintained a level of denial. I kept telling myself I would be up and around come Tuesday, back to working from home and back to preparing for the babies.
This mornings phone call from the doctor ended that denial. The blood pressure checks will continue, as will the bed rest, until an appointment on Wednesday. And then the bomb..."as your doctor, I am not allowed to think about the holiday coming up later this week. My responsibility is to keep you and the babies safe. When you come in on Wednesday I want you to come prepared to stay with us." WHAT??? Did he really just say that I may be spending Christmas in the hospital??? But I have family coming, I have loose ends to tie up at work, I have a list of things that need to be done before the babies come!!!
So here I sit, still processing what has just happened, what I have just been told. Not sure what to do next...but I do know one thing, whatever it is I'll be doing it from the couch.
Well, as irony would have it, that day ended up being the day...
My blood pressure is the culprit. We left the office with instructions to check my blood pressure every 6 hours through the weekend and to call Dr Acker directly if it ever went above 140/90. Well it did. The very next morning. So I called and he put me on bed rest though Monday (today) and I was to continue checking my blood pressure. While deep down I think I knew this was it, I maintained a level of denial. I kept telling myself I would be up and around come Tuesday, back to working from home and back to preparing for the babies.
This mornings phone call from the doctor ended that denial. The blood pressure checks will continue, as will the bed rest, until an appointment on Wednesday. And then the bomb..."as your doctor, I am not allowed to think about the holiday coming up later this week. My responsibility is to keep you and the babies safe. When you come in on Wednesday I want you to come prepared to stay with us." WHAT??? Did he really just say that I may be spending Christmas in the hospital??? But I have family coming, I have loose ends to tie up at work, I have a list of things that need to be done before the babies come!!!
So here I sit, still processing what has just happened, what I have just been told. Not sure what to do next...but I do know one thing, whatever it is I'll be doing it from the couch.
Wow, Deanna! Hang in there! Hope this next week goes as smoothly as possible.
ReplyDeleteOur thoughts are with you Deanna!!! Take care and do as the Doctor said - rest and relax! Love from us all, Gwen, JF, Tristan and Sofia
ReplyDeleteThe best Christmas present of all would be 3 healthy babies and a healthy Mom so, if you do need to spend the holiday in the hospital think of it as your special gift to the babies! And, surprisingly, the hospital can be pretty festive this time of year. We send our love from Charlestown!
ReplyDelete