Monday, November 30, 2009

A major milestone!!!

24 weeks.  Otherwise known as the week of viability.  Babies born earlier then 24 weeks have, on occasion, been known to survive (with major medical intervention) but 24 weeks is the point in the pregnancy when doctors tell you to take a deep breath and relax.  Early in this pregnancy 24 weeks seemed like an eternity away...but here we are!  Thank you God and thank you to all of you who have provided prayers, emotional and physical support. 

Having said that...

Last Tuesday night/Wednesday morning we ended up in the hospital again.  I woke up about midnight and was in a lot of pain.  Turns out I was having contractions.  I have had contractions before, but they have always been pain free and very random.  This time the contractions were coming about every 4-8 minutes and when I had my 5th one in 30 minutes we decided it was time to call the doctor (we had previously been told that if we had more then 4 in 1 hour then we needed to call).  As we suspected they told us to head straight in.

A monitor confirmed the contractions and I immediately began to worry that I would be sharing my birthday with our babies.  Fortunately my exam and an ultrasound revealed that the contractions were not effecting the babies or my cervix.  The doctor wasn't sure why they were coming so frequently or regularly (normally Braxton-Hicks are very random), but they did eventually slow down and finally stop.  We were discharged just in time to make it home and welcome my parents, KJ and Cara & Andrew who had arrived to work on our house and celebrate Thanksgiving. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you've made it this far, here's hoping (praying) for many more weeks till you get to introduce us to your trio!

    ReplyDelete