Thursday, March 24, 2011

New Year's Resolutions and other stuff...

My New Year's resolution for 2011 was to mobilize this family.  The theme for 2010 was...well...survival.  And survive we did!  So now I feel like it is time to re-enter society and the real world.  Here's what we've been up to:
  • I joined a local mom's group and through them found out about a weekly story and singing time at the library.  The kids really enjoy it and are amazingly quiet and well behaved (likely due to their shock about being in public AND out of their stroller at the same time).  I'm getting to know some other moms and we've even had our first play date!
  • We finally got into a weekly playgroup which is run by Early Intervention (after 3 months on the waiting list - we had to wait for 3 openings).  There are 10 kids in the group and it is lead by two early childhood development specialists.  We've only had 1 class so far but I think it will be a great addition to our week.  The best part is that it meets at the church DIRECTLY across the street from our house!
  • One of our Early Intervention therapists put me in touch with a group who organizes activities for families in the community.  They host sing-a-longs, story times, arts-and-crafts time, puppet shows, various field trips and a weekly "stroller walk" at a local track.  We're signed up for our first activity, a sing-a-long, next week.
  • We bought a new stroller!  We actually already own 3 - a single, a double and a triple.  So now we own 2 triples.  I'm sure it sounds absurd but let me explain.  We like to have a single and a double for the times when we are out as a family.  And the single is key if I only have to take one of them out.  The old triple we have has 3 seats that are 1 behind the other.  It works ok if I absolutely have to take them out by myself, but it is REALLY heavy, difficult to maneuver, doesn't fit into most elevators, barely fits into the back of the van, and is impossible to use anywhere but a flat, smooth surface (forget trail walking, grass walking or even uneven sidewalk walking).  The new triple is...well...awesome.  I plan to dedicate a whole blog entry to it!  FREEDOM IS MINE!!!
So, with a New Year's resolution behind us I'll close with some recent photos.


Annie enjoying her peas.  She would NOT smile.

Her favorite thing in the entire world.  BOOKS!
If no one is available to read to her then she sits and reads to herself.
Vera, we need you!

Eli, also anti-smile...


Another favorite past-time


Is this the toddler version of hanging out around the water cooler???

Mikie is proud of his stair climbing skills

Go Sox!



No comments:

Post a Comment